Monday, June 4, 2012

You Are My Sunshine

Five years ago I went into labor on June 3rd at 2am. My contractions were "okay" so I just sat on the couch and watched TV not wanting to wake Brian yet because they weren't too bad. I dosed off and on half wakeful to what was going on inside my belly. By 6am they were getting pretty intense so I called the doctor, we went in and I wasn't hardly measuring so we went HOME! Home was NOT comfortable, by 10am we were back to the hospital and I wanted to stay. Stay was what Asa was doing, cause no matter how much pain I was in he wasn't going anywhere! Over 24 hours later at 3am on June 4th 2007 Asa was born by c-section. I was Gumby with medication from the hours of labor and exhaustion and inevitably they knocked me out during surgery. I was in recovery for about an hour while Brian was all by himself with his 1st born back in the room. Everyone left because the nurses said I'd be right down, but not quite as speedy as everyone thought.
About mid-morning the pediatrician who helped deliver Asa came to our room. He stood by our bed and said Asa may have Down syndrome but I'm not positive. He has some classic characteristics but we can't be sure without the proper blood work. As this all slowly sunk in my Mother's intuition already knew what blood work didn't need to tell me. My sweet little bundle most certainly was special, but in a way I could never had dreamed or prayed for. It took a week to get the test results back and Asa's pediatrician called me on the phone and said that Asa did certainly have Trisomy 21. Yes folks, we were told over the phone in a matter of fact unemotional way that Asa had Down syndrome. At that time I was oblivious to the term Trisomy 21 so when those words hit my ears I did not quite understand what was being said through the receiver, but I knew what was meant.
And so here we are 5 years later and I am not the same person I was on that day. I am not sad that my son has Down syndrome. I thank the Lord everyday for the precious gift he has given me, given Brian and so generously given our whole family and to the world.

My phrase Perfection is Made with 47 Chromosomes rings through and through. He is magic in a bottle, or magic in a 3.5 foot body with beaming blue eyes and blond hair!

You are my sunshine...








My only sunshine...







You make me happy...








When skys are gray...










You'll never know dear..












How much I love you...




So please don't take my sunshine away...

Happy Birthday to Asa!
5 years of Sunshine!
Mommy & Daddy
Love You!

1 comment:

  1. sweet boy I hope your day was super special. I wish we were close enough to wish you a happy birthday in person.
    With all of our love and BIG hugs from Louisiana

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
My name is Jackie and I am a mother, wife, friend, sister, daughter, cousin to many, and a dreamer of sorts. I dream of many things and one is a life full of acceptance, achievement and success for my Super Hero son Asa. He's got extra good stuff that comes with a little thing called Down syndrome. We live in the beautiful state of New Hampshire with our 2 Bulldogs; Rosie, Frankie and 36 chickens.